Garage door cables lift the door and counter balance the springs. In an extension spring system, they run on pulleys and in a torsion spring system they roll into a drum at the top of the door. There are many reasons garage door cables break but a here a few common ones.
1. Cables are rubbing against the track or other garage door hardware.
2. Moisture caused the cable to rust. Usually, moisture occurs at the bottom where water from rain or snow seeps in the garage. However, if you leave the door open during these weather events, the cable can rust anywhere.
3. The pulley could be splitting somewhere and causing the cable to fray. Invest in cast iron pulleys which are resistant to splitting.
CAUTION: Garage doors are a very big moving object and their parts balance each other out so that minimal work is required while moving. When one of the garage door parts break, it changes the system. If you try to lift the garage door while the parts are broken, you could be causing injury to yourself or damaging the other garage doors parts.
We get phone calls often asking what type of garage door services do we do in CT. In all the towns we service like Cheshire, Bristol, Wolcott, Berlin, Newington, Naugatuck, and more, we do the following:
1. Remove old door and install a new one
2. Remove old opener and install a new one
3. Attach an existing opener to a new door.
4. Replace garage door parts like rollers, pulleys, springs, cables, and brackets.
5. Replace opener parts like gears, keypads, remotes, wall buttons, and safety sensors.
6. Make adjustment to existing motors like adjusting vertical limits and force.
7. Make adjustments to garage door balance.
8. Replace garage door weather seal.
9. Wood frame work for garage door support.
10. Install or make adjustments to current garage door supports.
We do NOT do the following:
1. Paint doors.
2. Remove dents
3. Flashing around the garage door.
Helpful Garage Door DIY repairs and FAQs
Mia is the customer service coordinator. She answers all questions regarding accounts, products, services, and the blog.
Call for professional garage door repair!